SPECIAL GROOMING CLASSES – RULES and REGULATIONS
Registration deadline: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:00pm PST
BEST FIRST TIME COMPETITOR
Sponsored by Oster Professional Products
This competition is open to anyone that has never competed in a grooming contest and is in entry level. One contestant will be chosen from each entry level class. The contestant has to indicate on their competitor entry form that they are a first time competitor and entry level competitor.
The entry level Judge will choose the best first time competitor from each entry level class competition. Each competitor chosen must return to the show ring at 3:45 pm on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 for Best First Time Competitor awards starting at 4:00 pm on Wednesday, June 27, 2018. At that time, the Best First Time in Show Judge will then choose the winner of the Best First-Time Competitor award.
- All Registered First Time Competitors will receive a gift and a Participation Ribbon.
- Each Best First Time Competitor Winner will receive a Trophy.
- The Best First Time Competitor in Show Winner will receive a Trophy.
BEST INTERNATIONAL PET STYLIST IN SHOW
Sponsored by IGROOM
This competition is open to anyone who has indicated on their competitor registration that they are from an International Country and is competing at Open Level.
The Open Level Judge will choose the Best International Competitor from each Open Level Grooming Class competition. Each competitor chosen must return to the show ring 30 minutes prior to the Best in Show awards on Wednesday, June 27, 2018. At that time, the Best International Stylist in Show Judge will choose the winner of the Best International Competitor award.
The Best International Stylist in Show winner will receive a Trophy and $1,500.00
CREATIVE STYLING DOG & CAT COMPETITION
Sponsored by TBA
- The Creative Contest is an exhibition of colorfully staged, uniquely presented and exquisitely groomed dogs and cats using props and music for the presentation. Any purebred or mixed breed dog or cat can be used. This contest is open to a total of 20 participants. Electrical outlets will be limited to one per entry.
- The spa will be available to groom and do touch ups on your entry at 12:00pm on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 before contest starts.
- Competitors will be allowed 15 minutes to setup in designated 5’x 5’ areas and add props before Judging.
- All entries in this class must be completely groomed and finished before contest starts at 3:45 pm.
- Exhibits exceeding 5’x 5’ will be disqualified.
Winners will be determined by:
- Originality and creativity of the design and theme
- Quality of styling techniques
- Sharpness and precision of clipper lines
- Sharpness and/or blending of color
- Quality of scissor finish
- Quality and harmony of props and decorations in the final presentation (maximum 2 minute presentation)
- Competitors must title their designs.
Competitors may color their dog or cat prior to Competition Start, using only safe, non-toxic products for pets & stylist. Competitors must list products used on their registration form. Music may also be used in presentation to Judge(s) but is the sole responsibility of the competitor. DVD presentations are not allowed.
Entry Level is for anyone that has not placed 1st or 2nd in a Creative Contest.
Open Division – Any Competitor may enter the Open Division
Creative Styling Awards
Prize and Trophy
Open: 1st Place – $2,500.00 2nd Place – $1,500.00 3rd Place – $1,000.00
Entry: 1st Place – $500.00 2nd Place – $300.00 3rd Place – $200.00
RESCUE RODEO COMPETITION
Sponsored by Ryan’s Pet Supplies and Wahl Clipper Corporation
The intention of this class is to recognize the groomer’s ability to take whatever grooming job comes their way and create a clean, well- groomed dog using rescue dogs from shelters. The groomer will use his or her grooming expertise while handling these dogs with compassion. The top 5 placements will not only win a cash prize but the supplied dogs rescue organization will also take home the same cash donation.
Open to any and all groomers who can handle dogs of varying temperament and condition and know full well that the dog may not be 100% cooperative and may not be in very good condition. He or she must be willing to show their skill in every aspect of the grooming process. This contest is open to 30 participants.
You will be given a number for a dog from one of the rescue groups. Each will have been evaluated to determine if the dog is suitable for the competition environment. You may receive pure bred or mixed breed dogs. The dog’s entire grooming process will be completed in the ring and spa area.
Competition Time Frame- Rescue Rodeo
All dogs will be permitted 2-1/2 hours. In this time, you will do all prep work, bathe, dry and groom in designated areas.
You will be given staggered bathing times. Order of the bathing time will be determined by the contest staff. Judges will consider styling to suit the dog’s conformation, coat type and degree of difficulty. While others are in the spa area it is suggested you do as much preparation and grooming as possible prior to the bathing process.
The judges will evaluate the following:
- Styled to suit the dog’s conformation
- Grooming techniques that ensure the best outcome for the dog’s coat type and starting condition
- Overall technical finish
- Handling of animals
- Degree of difficulty
- Change in overall appearance from start to finish
The judges will choose First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth placement.
1st Place – $1,000 in cash, plus $1,000 will be donated to your rescue dog’s organization.
2nd Place – $750 in cash, plus $750 will be donated to your rescue dog’s organization.
3rd Place – $500 in cash, plus $500 will be donated to your rescue dog’s organization.
4th Place – $400 in cash, plus $400 will be donated to your rescue dog’s organization.
5th Place – $300 in cash, plus $300 will be donated to your rescue dog’s organization.
Grooming tables and grooming arms will be furnished to contestants. Contestants must supply their own towels, grooming loop and equipment. Competitors from outside the USA may request to borrow a pair of clippers for the competition but must supply all blades. Send request to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 12, 2018.
The Judges will give a warning for the following violations. A second warning will result in disqualification.
Professional and Technical/Warnings:
- Inappropriate attire
- Inappropriate language and attitude
- Skin abrasions such as clipper burns, nicks or cuts
- Handstripping or plucking in a non-compassionate manner
- Dog left unattended on grooming table
- Dog jumping or falling off grooming table
- Rough handling of dog
- Safety loop adjusted too high
- Lifting dog by tail strictly prohibited
- Use of cell phone or radios and headsets
- Smoking in competition ring
- Standing on grooming tables
- Standing on chairs to groom or style
- Beverages not in spill-proof containers
- Coaching by anyone, at any time, during the competition
The judges will be permitted to confer during the competition, as well as at the end of the time limit during their deliberations. They may narrow the competition down to a group of 10, and then announce the top 5 placements. The judges’ decisions will be final and binding.
Mixed Salon Styling
Sponsored by Geib Buttercut Shears
Acceptable Breeds: Any dog of mixed parentage, such as the Doodle or Cock-a-Poo. Any purebred dog distinctly NOT styled to breed profile. Examples: Poodle (No shaved feet, face or tail) Poodle in a Bedlington trim, Shih Tzu in a panda trim, Cocker in a suburban trim with scissored legs, Old English Sheepdog in a teddy bear, Asian Fusion Maltese. May use 2 bows for tie ups, small amounts of color (1 inch or less) may be added with chalk, blow pens or markers and limited to paws, ears, tail, and/or cheeks.
(See General and GroomTeam Rules for more information)
17” and Under – 1:45 (1 hour, 45 minutes)
Over 17” – 2:00 (2 hours)
Final Judging: Judge will evaluate the following: Balance, symmetry, uniformity and style of the trim. Mixed Salon Styling, the ability of the groomer to create the best possible profile for the dog chosen, according to his/her body type, structure and coat. For scissored dogs, the plush overall appearance without scissor marks, unevenness or unintended protruding coat. For Hand stripped and/or carded dogs, proper technique to achieve smooth and natural appearance. Clipper work should be smooth and free of irritation. The difficulty with regard to the amount of coat removed, difficulty of the coat type, texture, quality and quantity, the difficulty.
Awards Mixed Salon Styling
Open 1st Place – $300.00 2nd Place – $200.00 3rd Place – $100.00
Intermediate 1st Place – $150.00 2nd Place – $100.00 3rd Place – $ 75.00
Entry 1st Place – $100.00 2nd Place – $ 75.00 3rd Place – $ 50.00